Dinesh D’Souza Quote on the Existence of Jesus

“Do you believe in the existence of Socrates? Alexander the Great? Julius Caesar? If historicity is established by written records in multiple copies that date originally from near contemporaneous sources, there is far more proof for Christ’s existence than for any of theirs.”

– Dinesh D’Souza

Source:  Apologetics 315

This entry was posted in Bible Issues. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Dinesh D’Souza Quote on the Existence of Jesus

1. Anonymous says:

Hi Mike,
    I have read a few of your book reviews and it seems to me that you have the correct understanding of the fundamental teachings of the Bible and you are able to tactfully and eloquently refute any ideas contrary to scripture. That is admirable. It also appears that you do not agree with people of like mind (those who allow scripture to interpret scripture, not relying on human ideas and interpretation) to be organized into a group.
    I was wondering if this is so, and if you have a scriptural base for this.

Respectfully,
    Veronica

1. I find no scriptural command for us to do so.

2. I see no need for us to do so.

3. Whenever people do so anyway, it always creates a need for human leadership…and this is where trouble begins. The entirety of the Scriptures testify to our corruptibility. Only God Himself is worthy to rule in the kingdom of God.

• Anonymous says:

If I may say so, I agree with your point number 3. This does indeed seem to be the case and has been throughout history and both you and I are aware of this. However, have you thought about the congregations that were formed during the Apostle’s times? (Before the congregations became apostate). There was no man who dictated what was to be believed as the first Christian church was headed by Jesus himself, (Matt 23:10) although by that time he was no longer with his followers physically, but everything they needed to know he had already told them, and they had recorded this in the gospels. We have records of the apostle Paul writing to the congregations, admonishing them, encouraging them to keep the faith and to encourage one another and to keep themselves separate from the nations. That was the purpose of the congregations. Also they were to be evangelizers. These congregations were to have Jesus Christ as their head. In his letter to the congregation in Ephesus Paul writes “Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish”. (Ephesians 5:22-27)
      In fact in 1st Timothy chapter 3 Paul is setting the criteria for the Christian congregation and in verse 15 he explains why “But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth” In His letter to Titus Paul says that God will have a people “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works”. (Titus 2:13,14) Paul was referencing Zechariah 12: 8, 9 “And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God”.
      There are many other examples.
      But that was then, and this is now. But if there was a church that was like the one in the Apostle Paul’s day, modeling itself on that first congregation, and having Christ as the only head and having the Holy Bible as their only creed, would you consider investigating it?

The New Testament churches were preparing for the kingdom of God, which was promised to come in their generation.  I believe the Lord kept His promise.  Please consider the following:

• Anonymous says:

With all due respect Mike, you did not answer my question. If there was to be found on earth a church of God with Christ as its head and the Bible as it’s only creed, (one which did not mediate between you and God, and had nothing to do with redemption, and had no hierarchy), a church just like the Old Testament church, would you consider investigating it?

P.S. I have read the blogs. Thank you.

Veronica,

You say that you read the links but that I did not answer your question.  I don’t see how it is possible that you read the links and don’t know my answer to your question.

Nevertheless, I will repeat:  The Lord is my pastor.  I left the man-made church to join the true church of God (which is the kingdom of God).  I will not be like Lot’s wife and go back to it.

No one lives in temporary housing once the completed house is available.

The church in your hypothetical question is scripturally impossible in our time.  The New Testament church gave its life for the kingdom of God.  The least that we can do is seek that kingdom for which they died.

• Anonymous says:

Mike,
      I really did read the links. In a nutshell it is giving reasons why the church I described cannot exist. But I say what if it did exist? Or claimed it was just like the New Testament church. Would you investigate it?

And can you explain scripturally, why the Church in my question is impossible in our time?
      And explain how one can come to the conclusion that the New Testament church gave its life for the kingdom of God from the Scriptures?
      Thanks

Veronica, you said…

I am not trying to be difficult; I simply cannot imagine it.  I can imagine a group of sincere believers getting together with the intention of replicating the New Testament church experience.  But such a gathering will not last long without someone being in charge.  Once that happens you have a head other than Jesus.

Or claimed it was just like the New Testament church.

The churches of the New Testament had apostles to start and nurture them.  Their sole purpose was to prepare for the day of the Lord.  Since we today already live in the day of the Lord and the apostles are long since dead, no church could claim it was like the New Testament church.

Would you investigate it?

I take you to mean, “Would you consider being a  part of it?”  My answer is “No.”  If you want to tell me more about it, I will be able to give you further explanation as to why it is not scriptural.  But I am satisfied by the Scripture alone that such a church is not the will of God in our time.

The situation is comparable to this:  What if someone told you that the tabernacle of Moses had been found, and that sacrifices were being offered to the Lord through it – that it was just as pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old.  Would you consider being a part of it?

“When the perfect is come, the partial is done away” (1 Corinthians 13:10).

The book – Whatever Became of Jesus Christ? – lays out the biblical case for the Christ coming for His church just when He promised He would.  Once He came for the church, it belongs to Him – not to any earthly head.  Any honest reading of the New Testament reveals that the writers expected the coming of the Lord in their generation – and that they got this idea from the Lord Himself.  If Jesus did not keep His promise then we are without Him and without hope.

Stephen was martyred (Acts 6).  Peter and Paul were said to have been martyred in Rome in the 60’s AD.  Tradition tells us that every one of the twelve was martyred.  The book of Revelation in the second and third chapters warns of the intense persecution that would come upon believers (and that book begins and ends with the clear promise that those things would happen “soon”).  Chapters 16, 17, and 18 speak of the blood of the saints in no small terms.  Jesus had prophesied in Matthew 24 and elsewhere that His disciples would be delivered up to tribulation and death.  In fact, He said no tribulation in all of history would be as intense.

Am I saying that every single person in the New Testament church died in martyrdom?  No.  But the church as a whole was characterized by those who bore witness to Him in life and in death (Matthew 23:34-36).  Therefore, that church can divided into those who died for their faith, those who were spared, and those who went apostate (Acts 20:29-30).  Truly that glorious church of true believers (the wheat that was growing with tares mixed in) was the bride who gave her life in childbirth for the kingdom of God brought forth through her.  There will never be another church like that one, and its testimony and honor in the sight of the Lord will stand for all eternity.  The New Testament comes to us soaked in their blood just as the Old Testament came to us soaked in the blood of the prophets (Acts 7:52).  These are truly men and women “of whom the world was not worthy” (Hebrews 11:38).

The apostles and those who imitated them were all imitating Christ, who laid down His life for us (1 Corinthians 11:1).  Let us believe in the Lord and His kingdom they laid down their lives to tell us about.  Because they were faithful, even unto death, we know what to believe.  More precisely, we know Whom to believe.