Answering CynicalSkeptic1

Someone who calls himself “CynicalSkeptic1” made challenges to me on a YouTube site.  Given difficulties with YouTube commenting, I’ve chosen to answer them here.

CynicalSkeptic1 said he had five objections.  I found two 2’s and no 4’s, but the total equaled five so I here they are:

1) Since over 30,000 Christian denominations can’t even agree on a congruent belief concerning an ancient holy book…it would appear that your god has difficulty espousing his “Word”. A book which is “divinely inspired by God” but is so utterly obscure that it is constantly misinterpreted. The ambiguity of the Bible is confirmed through this obvious evidence. This indicates that the biblical god can’t make complete sense to anyone.
Apparently your god is mumbling when talking to people.

Over 30,000 denominations is evidence of humanity’s deficiencies, not God’s.

2) The Judeo-Christian god has obviously failed miserably in distributing his “divinely inspired” word properly or accurately.
Only 3 options exist:
1) He is powerless to help his deluded children.
2) He doesn’t care about his deluded children.
3) He doesn’t exist.
Do you have a fourth option?

This appears to be redundant to the first objection.  Therefore, same answer.

2) Julunggul, Wawalag, Tammuz, Ishtar, Quetzalcoatl, Xipe Totec, Baal, Eshmun, Melqart, Jesus, Zalmoxis, Osiris, Amun, Horus, Amun-Min, Atunis (also known as Adonis), Lemminkainen, Cronus, Donysus, Orpheus, Persephone, Chinnamasta, Iravan, Barbarika, Izanangi, Lailah, Heitsi-eibib, Baridegi, Kaknu, Gullveig, Odin, Baldr, Attis, Aeneas, Bacchus, Proserpina, Jarilo, Kostroma, Marzanna, Dumuzi, Inanna, Obatala, Moremi Ajasoro.
Were all these other gods also resurrected?…or just yours? Evidence?

3) There are numerous religions which precede yours and they all have utterly absurd events…just like yours. Herodotus describes the god Zalmoxis who assures us that we can be immortal if our souls are cleansed with blood magic. We then go to live forever in a place no one can see.
This was a cult in 425 B.C. which is hundreds of years before Christianity.
Sound familiar?

Similarities between Jesus Christ and other gods can only be found at the most superficial level.  He was unique.  For one thing, who ever had his biography written long before he was born?

5) So, were all of the resurrections in the Bible true? Are all of the other gods which were resurrected in other religions false?
How did you prove either of these hypotheses?
The truth is that you don’t care if your beliefs are true. You don’t know if Jesus and many others were resurrected in the Bible and you don’t know if the other gods weren’t.
The only LOGICAL conclusion is to disbelieve in utterly absurd events like resurrections…and not rely on ancient books about talking donkeys.

[Note added August 12, 2013:  Apparently, “CynicalSkeptic1” is “Carl Hill” in the comments below.]

This entry was posted in Dialogues with Atheists. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Answering CynicalSkeptic1

1. Pieter reneg8or@live.com says:

Not only does your critic not have his facts sorted out, he also misunderstands man’s role in all of this. My page Creation Was An Act of Love explains humankind’s role in the mess around us.

Hell was not even created for humans and if God did not care, He would not have come as Jesus to save is from eternal death. He did not come to start a new religion and also not to become the political answer to global issues.

Furthermore, because of man being obstinate, only a tiny remant will be saved, yet another ancient but accurate prophecy or prediction. None of the 38,000+ denominations were inspired by God and are man-made. In fact, Jeremiah, Jesus and the apostle John of Patmos all taught us not to participate in it sins and to get out of there.

Instead, we are to worship Hin in Spirit and Truth. He also cannot denounce Jesus as illegitimate because of the wrongful deeds and ways of mankind. The few true Christians are His witnesses anhyhow; perhaps he did not notice us because there are so few of us. Karl Marx, who I abhor, was correct when he said that religion was the opiate of the people.

Relationship with Jesus is different. If he wants to see Jesus in the Old Testament, let him look at Melchizedek who had no parents, no known human origin. Jesus always existed, unlike all the fake gods.

He is right in his assertian that, as he states, 30,000 or more churches are divided. The real figure is between 38-46,000 none of which are the true church. In Revelation these are called the whore and her off-spring.

-original message- Subject: [New post] Answering CynicalSkeptic1

• Carl Hill says:

There is no REPLY button to respond to Mike Gantt so I will send you the response.

This is directed to Mike Gantt:

YOU ARE A COWARD!!!

We were debating on YOUTUBE and you very COWARDLY decided to come to YOUR BLOG rather than defending your viewpoints in THAT VIDEO. You had already posted OVER TWENTY comments to OTHER YouTubers but then all of a sudden you wanted to come here.

Once again, YOU ARE A COWARD!!!

I am HAPPY to debate ANY theists. I already told you that I have had my comments REMOVED and been BLOCKED DOZENS OF TIMES BY THEISTS.

ANYONE who wants to debate me can go to THAT YouTube channel…where we were INITIALLY before you ran away like a coward!!

• Pieter reneg8or@live.com says:

This is the reason why blogs & portals are too tiring. People fight and argue. It is not nice.

I get lots of abuse from atheists who ridicule all believers. Only atheists hold the truth and only they don’t look damn stooopid to others.

Or that is how they seemingly think.

I have come through immense situations in my life and know that God exists, as it was proven in practice. I am battle weary and am retiring from WordPress because people are not decent here.

• Carl Hill says:

Sir, your alleged personal experience isn’t evidence for any gods. The Bible appears just as absurd as dozens of other holy books.

Talking snakes & talking donkeys & eternally-burning talking foliage & rib-women & salt-women & 3-day whale-belly vacations & horns blowing to knock down walls & magical hair & magical fruit & magical staffs & Noah’s Ark & supernaturally-parting seas & thousands fed from a few fish and bread & walking on water & resurrections & ascensions to heaven & leprosy cleansing from sprinkling bird’s blood.

Ancient books about gods appear silly…

Gita, & Quran, & Epic of Gilgamesh, & Iliad & Odyssey, & Qayyumu’l-Asma, & Writings of Baha’u’llah, Abdu’l-Baha, & Shoghi Effendi, & the Vedas, the Avestas of Zarathustra, & the Adi-Granth, & Donghak Scripture, & Pyrgi Tablets, & Hermetica, Kybalion, & Svetambara, & Ginza Rba, Qolusta, & Evangelion, & Samaritan Torah, & Kojiki, & Zhuangzi, & Ofudesaki, & Kalam-e Saranjam, & Odu Ifa, & Yazidi, etc., etc., etc.

The Bible doesn’t stand out as the ONLY ONE which was divinely-inspired by an omnipotent and omniscient god. It is quite similar to the others…numerous supernatural fairy-tale-like events and erroneous beliefs held by ignorant people.

All religious believers can recognize the utter absurdity of other religions but fail to apply the same critical scrutiny to their own.

• Carl Hill says:

I’m sorry Sir, but there isn’t any valid evidence for your god…just like the remaining thousands. There is no reason to separate your particular god from the others. The main reason for anyone’s particular religious belief is the geographical location of where they grew up and/or it was their parent’s belief. You KNOW that is true. It seems somewhat arbitrary doesn’t it?

If you were born in another place and time then in all likelihood you wouldn’t worship your current god.

I am happy to discuss your religious beliefs with you in detail since I was a Christian for 20 years and was sent to Christian schools since kindergarten. Reading my Bible from cover to cover is what originally made me an atheist.

2. Carl Hill says:

This comment is directed to Mike Gantt.

YOU ARE A COWARD!!!

Once again, YOU ARE A COWARD!!!

• Mike Gantt says:

As I said to on YouTube, I find its commenting mechanism much less accommodating than most blogs. I came to this conclusion only after trying to use it a lot. I suppose they just want a lot of videos and don’t care to make the comment interactions as useful.

In any case, you and I have by now exchanged views and it’s clear that neither one of us is moved by the other’s argument. Why then should we let what began as an exchange of views become a repetitive quarrel?

It’s better for each of us to move on to more productive activities.

• Carl Hill says:

I said “Since over 30,000 Christian denominations can’t even agree on a congruent belief concerning an ancient holy book…it would appear that your god has difficulty espousing his “Word”. A book which is “divinely inspired by God” but is so utterly obscure that it is constantly misinterpreted. The ambiguity of the Bible is confirmed through this obvious evidence. This indicates that the biblical god can’t make complete sense to anyone. Apparently your god is mumbling when talking to people.”

Then you said “Over 30,000 denominations is evidence of humanity’s deficiencies, not God’s.”

The fact remains that your god appears incapable of communicating his book properly. Is it BEYOND your god’s abilities to INSURE that his beloved children aren’t deluded? Because, that is what you are apparently saying.
        _____________________

Then I said “The Judeo-Christian god has obviously failed miserably in distributing his “divinely inspired” word properly or accurately. Not only does the vast majority of the earth’s populace disbelieve in him…but even the 2.1 billion Christian followers are split into over 30,000+ denominations which have contradictory beliefs.

Only 3 options exist:

1) He is powerless to help his deluded children.
        2) He doesn’t care about his deluded children.
        3) He doesn’t exist.

Then you said “This appears to be redundant to the first objection. Therefore, same answer.”

Then it is option #2. He DOESN’T CARE about his deluded children.

If he CAN change it but he DOESN’T…then he OBVIOUSLY doesn’t care if his children are deluded. Again, THAT IS OPTION #2.

You said “The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth is the testimony found in the New Testament documents and corroborating Greco-Roman literature of that time.”

No, it doesn’t. As I stated previously, there is *ZERO* evidence for the NINE (at least) resurrections in the Bible and *ZERO* evidence for the dozens of OTHER gods. You simply don’t care if your beliefs are true.

There is a reason why your ancient superstitious religious belief is contradicted by so much of science and reality. It’s because your religion originated from mankind’s infancy with ignorance prevalent throughout most of the populace. Everything which wasn’t understood was explained with a “god”. Most of the gods throughout the ages have now been relegated to mythology. The reason is because they were figments of imagination from ignorant people and natural explanations have been found.

• Carl Hill says:

By the way, You can now leave lengthy comments on Youtube and it is much more user friendly.

I will probably end up getting blocked from this web site and unable to respond to comments. I know you said you don’t perform those actions but I have been told that before from religious believers and then many lie and still block me.

I am happy to discuss your religious beliefs in detail since I used to be a Christian for 20 years and was sent to Christian schools since kindergarten. Reading my Bible from cover to cover is what originally made me an atheist.

Anyhow, if you do end up blocking me, just remember that it doesn’t change anything. Gods still appear fictional.

• Carl Hill says:

You said “Resurrection is no more absurd than 7 billion of us residing on a sphere spinning 1,000 mph while it revolves around another body at 66,000 mph, together flying with a galaxy at 432,000 mph – all without falling off or even getting chapped lips.”

Your response was completely irrelevant. Nothing in your statement contradicted my comment.

Again, there is no reason to believe in the nine (at least) resurrections in the Bible or the dozens of other gods which were allegedly resurrected…and certainly no reason to selectively choose only the Bible’s alleged resurrections as valid.

Responding with irrelevant comments doesn’t change anything.

Again, from my previous post…it was OPTION #2 and your last response was irrelevant.

Carl,

Your logic, such as it is, seems to go like this: “Because God doesn’t do things the way I think He should, therefore ‘2) He doesn’t care about his deluded children.'”

That’s a pretty big leap!