Something Is Terribly Wrong with Christianity in America

From Wikipedia article on “Church Attendance“:

In 2013, the Pew Research Center reported that 37% of all Americans attended church on a weekly basis.  In its turn, Gallup estimated the once-a-week church attendance of the Americans in 2013 as 39%…This compares to other countries claims such as 15% of French citizens, 10% of UK citizens,[3] and 7.5% of Australian citizens.

In the early 1990s, American sociologists Kirk Hadaway, Penny Marler, and Mark Chaves found that weekly attendance at Protestant and Catholic churches in one rural county in Ohio was only about 20%, whereas self-reported church attendance was 36%.

Thus we should be able to say that somewhere between  roughly 20% and roughly 36-39% of Americans attend church each week.

From the Washington Post of July 15, 2014:

A survey released Tuesday by the the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports:

Based on the 2013 NHIS data [collected in 2013 from 34,557 adults aged 18 and over], 96.6% of adults identified as straight, 1.6% identified as gay or lesbian, and 0.7% identified as bisexual. The remaining 1.1% of adults identified as “something else[]” [0.2%,] stated “I don’t know the answer[]” [0.4%] or refused to provide an answer [0.6%].

More specifically, 1.8 percent of men self-identify as gay and 0.4 percent as bisexual, and 1.5 percent of women self-identify as lesbian and 0.9 percent as bisexual.

This works out to about 2.5% of the American population identifying themselves as falling into a category cover by “LGBT.”

From the Washington Post April 23, 2015:

A record-high 6 in 10 Americans support same-sex marriage and a similar share say individual states should not be allowed to define marriage as only between a man and a woman, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

How does a country in which 20-40% of the people are participating in weekly religious activities and barely a tenth of that number engaged in LGBT activities end up with 60% of its population favoring an LGBT view of marriage – one that is directly at odds with the view ostensibly being taught the 20-40% every week?

Something is terribly wrong with Christianity in America.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.